I surveyed 30 young-middle aged women to find out what they are struggling with most – 46% of them (almost half!) told me that low energy is their biggest challenge in day to day life!
Those lulls in energy and general feeling of fatigue are so common. That does not make them normal though!
To help with that, I thought I'd explain the 3 big, energy boosting, fatigue fighting steps to transform your vitality!
1. BALANCING YOUR MEALS
Food is what fuels our body. It's what determines our bodies energy production and influences every biochemical reaction in our body.
Understanding how to balance your plate ensures your bodies' energy production and release is consistent, which ultimately prevents those big highs and lows we feel (the sugar high effect). This has a lot to do with digestion and blood sugar levels, which I will touch on a little more at the end of the post.
Here's a few simple changes you can make to your diet to boost your energy levels now:
- Eat complex carbohydrates rather that processed, “simple” carbohydrates and don’t go overboard! Examples are sweet potato, wholemeal breads, brown rice and vegetables.
- Ensure each meal includes healthy fats. Fats help with satiety, leaving you feeling fuller for longer. They're also essential for nutrient absorption, which has a huge impact on energy production. Examples are avocado, extra virgin olive oil, nuts, seeds, flax seed oil and fatty fish.
- Eat nutrient rich foods which contain the vitamins needed to support energy product. These include your colorful vegetables, dark leafy greens and fruits.
- And of course, remove the processed, high sugar, caffeine and additive laced foods.
2. MAKE QUALITY SLEEP A PRIORITY
It’s an obvious one, but is easier said than done. It’s during sleep that our body detoxes, repairs and restores. If we are not allowing our body to go through that process, the negative effects on our energy levels are pretty shocking. A truly restful sleep is something we all know we need, but a lot of people don’t allow for it.
- Always aim for a minimum of 8 hours of QUALITY sleep
- Create a structured night time, wind down routine
- Make the bedroom a no-phone-zone. The lights actually reduce melatonin production (the sleep hormone). This leads to trouble getting to sleep and even more trouble staying asleep!
- Invest in some essential oils. LAVENDAR IS THE BOMB when it comes to relaxation and wind down.
Compared to cave-woman days, we live a very sedentary life! Which means we need to start making time for intentional exercise. It doesn’t have to be strenuous but a minimum of 30 minutes a day of movement can totally boost your energy levels thanks to endorphin production. For those that “don’t have time” – consider how productive you will be once you’ve given your body that natural pick me up it needs!
These 3 steps can make the world of difference to your vitality right now!
For those suffering from long term fatigue with little relief, I’d urge you to see a Nutritional Practitioner. Yes, diet and lifestyle can help, but prolonged fatigue can be a result of a range of underlying conditions. A few examples are hormone imbalances including insulin and/or stress hormones, mental health challenges and impaired digestion. In cases like these, investigation into that underlying issue and correction using individualized supplementation, dietary adjustment and lifestyle is essential!
If you have any questions about this post, I’d love to hear from you! Please don’t be afraid to reach out, MY GOAL IS TO HELP OTHERS REACH THEIR GOAL.